Sunday, April 15, 2012

Coachella Day 2

Well, I've got to go to work tomorrow, very early, so I don't think I'll be watching much more, but I saw Buzzcocks , We Were Promised Jetpacks, Kaiser Chiefs, Noel Gallaghers High Flying Birds, and Kasabian. There were others I wanted to see, but that's still a pretty killer line-up. Because of the set up, I couldn't exactly "channel surf" quite like I otherwise would have- we had the laptop set up with powered external speakers on the bed so the Wife and I could watch in pyjamas (ahem), so not everything was my choice, which was absolutely fine. In my opinion,then, Buzzcocks and Kasabian killed it. Wow! Proper respect must also be given to Ricky Wilson of Kaiser Chiefs- the man can work a festival crowd like few others can, and really takes advantage of anything around.
But Buzzcocks managed to put on a real punk rock show, amidst all the luxury and pop perfection, and that was really stellar! Likewise, Kasabian brought their yobbish hip hop inflected Brit Pop with so much attitude, it was also like a punk rock show.
Now, had it just been me, I probably would've gone with a slightly different list of bands to watch, but I actually prefer that it was a bit more for my wife than me- it made it just a bit more like a real concert experience, and simultaneously more surreal, as, I'd never go to a show in my bedroom....
If I can, I'll watch Wild Flag, this evening, but other than that, my little taste of Coachella, here in Brunswick is over. I sincerely hope that other festivals do the live streaming thing as well, because most times, I have to go to concerts and shows with my son, or alone, as my wife has some health concerns that make it more difficult for her to go. Hey, and to be fair, I'm getting older as well- I can't spend 3 hours in the Pit like I used to, and even if I could, it's a lot of bother and awkwardness just to be "that crazy old guy- what's he doing here?" On top of that, how does this math grab you- cost ( in USD, for two) to go to Coachella-
tickets 500-600
plane fare 600-800
Hotels, taxis, etc- 200-300
lost work time- 400-500
Total:1700-2200
And cost for this:
Internet connection, so 0-5, depending upon how you calculate- my Internet connection costs me roughly 70 a month, so two days worth is 4.5 dollars, but I would've been paying for that anyway- hence, the cost was either nothing, or a few dollars. I honestly would have paid more- so for any promoters who may be reading- there's another revenue stream for you- I, personally, would have paid a few more dollars- nothing crazy mind you, but a few more- say up to 20 dollars a day.
Anyway, I have to go, my suburban life is calling....

No comments:

Post a Comment