Monday, August 16, 2010

Mekons

I take it as a given, sometimes, but it strikes me that not everyone has a complete musical education. So, some bands that I take as "classic", and records I think of as "Essential" many folks will not know at all. Such is the case with the Mekons "Rock and Roll". Believe me or not, you simply don't have a complete understanding of music unless you've heard this record. The Mekons pretty much invented the blend of Country and Punk rock, and with "Rock and Roll" perfected the style along the same lines that the Clash had perfected their blend of Reggae Glam, Rockabilly and Punk with "London Calling". Hey, even Robert Christgau liked it.
So, if you don't know what I mean when I say that such and such sounds like the Mekons- listen to them, and I'll bet some of the records in your collection sound different afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment