Sunday, December 8, 2013

I'm not creative

 I'm not saying this with false modesty: I'm not particularly creative.  I don't have an 'artistic" temperament. I'm more of a "problem solving" type.  So, I got an Engineering degree, and, I got an English Lit degree, followed up by a library science degree, and an Education  certification ( yes, I've taught High School, but it was more a "Walter White" type scenario than a Jaime Escalante type deal). I played in a band or three, but I never seriously considered myself as falling into the "talent" side of the equation. No, my place has always been on the technical side.
Still, that doesn't mean that I haven't played some instruments, or made a few duct-tape wallets, or designed a few T shirts. I'm not totally devoid of the the "maker" impulse.  I'm just saying I usually prefer helping the creative types to realize their vision than to try to come up with a vision of my own.
So, this past week is somewhat anomalous in that I've spent more time playing music than listening to other peoples' music. The reason? Well, I got a new, cheap toy- a Behringer Super Fuzz pedal.  Why? Because I wanted something my venerable Script logo MXR Distortion plus, nor my Boss OS-2 could provide. The Behringer provided that- simple problem solved. But, there is this thing called "GAS"- gear acquisition syndrome"- the more gear you have, the more gear you want. I've been pretty good at keeping it in check, but the desire is getting pretty overwhelming. Mostly, I want three things- one of these, one of these, and one of these. Yup, champagne tastes, I know.  But, I actually have a chance to get the micro terror- a hundred and fiddy bucks is do-able. The others? Well, maybe if I come into a vast windfall. But, can you imagine the three together? Well, now you're in my head...
So, I'll get back on mission, soon. I'm just indulging in my hobby, right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment