Saturday, July 21, 2012

Playlist

An experiment....
We all like different things, and even the things we like, we like in different ways. So, I was thinking about how I like some movies, and bands, and TV shows, but for seemingly different reasons than those around me. An experiment came to mind. What about just listing what songs, episodes, scenes, chapters I like from a given artefact and see if anybody agrees, but more importantly, where they disagree. To serve as an example, and first try, I've been talking a lot about the Refused, but hey, it was 15 years waiting to see one of my all time favorite bands. So, here's my playlist of Refused songs. Feel free to tell me what you think:

Untitled
Dust
Inclination
Tide

Rather Be Dead
Coup d'etat
Hook, Line and Sinker
Life Support Addiction
It's Not OK
Worthless is the Freedom Bought
Last Minute Pointer

Liberation Frequency
Summerholidays Vs Punkroutine
New Noise
Refused are Dead
The Shape of Punk to Come

I've got them grouped by Album. The First group from "This Just might be the Truth", the next group from "Songs to Fan the Flames of Discontent" and finally from "The Shape of Punk To Come". In case it isn't obvious, my favorite of the three honestly is "Song to Fan", but "Shape" is a close second, even though I like most of their songs, from first to last. So much for what I think. What do you think?



2 comments:

  1. Hey Matt, I've got so much shit going on right now that I can't give this the consideration it deserves although I did whack it into a playlist on the weekend and it's a pretty mighty comp. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything I'd change but putting the songs together like that made me really think about how the band evolved. When I listen to the individual albums it didn't seem as obvious but all grouped together, there's a pretty significant curve there. I think Shape is still my favourite but it's like choosing a favourite child really. When I get chance I'm going to check out the David Sandstrom stuff, thanks for the recommendation (also the Baroness album is great too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. In terms of evolution, the most obvious difference to me is the incorporation of electronics- from a pretty live/organic/five guys in a room sound to the loops, samples, and synths that are integral to Shape. But, there is also a fairly radical change to the bass sound, and the vocals start with hoarse shouting, go to almost exclusively a shrill scream, and then falsetto, scream and spoken word. That is a lot of change.
    I like "Song to fan" the most because, to me, it's the most realized of their unique sound. Sure, there are a lot of experiments on Shape, but that's a double edged sword- on the one side, it means lots of exciting new developments, but on the other side, it means less to really dig into.
    Glad to serve, if I helped to find something new.The David Sandstrom stuff is really different from Refused in a big way- it almost reminds me of Mark Lanegan at times, and also of Wilco, but ultimately it is its own thing

    ReplyDelete